Monday, January 10, 2011

Banners {Layer Two}

Something you see at parties all the time are banners.  I love banners, wish I had a closet full.  If you had nothing to decorate a birthday party with, but a banner, you'd be set.  This last week I decided to make some long banners to stretch across my room with the twinkling lights.  I wanted to make small pendants and lots of them.
Step 1:  I started by cutting 4 inch squares from a bunch of scrap fabric.  Then I cut those squares from point to point to create triangles.  Step 2: Then I took two triangles and put them back-to-back and sewed the edges together leaving the long edge undone.  I was hoping to create a shabby chic look by leaving the seams frayed.  Plus, it saved me a little time.  I didn't have to turn all those triangles right side out.  Step 3:  I then took double folded bias tape and slipped the unsewn edge of the triangle between the folds.  I spaced the triangles about every 1 1/2" and sewed the bias tape and triangles together.
They turned out so cute and I love them hung with the lights.  They are so festive!  I then added tulle and a couple of tissue paper rounds to the middle to complete the decorations.
 I really love the tent look that these layers created in my family room.  Anyone ready for cake?

1 comment: